Friday, June 21, 2024

One rainy evening in the French Quarter


      It was a drizzly, foggy, evening in New Orleans.  I was walking down Royal Street.  Making my way home from my office downtown to my apartment on St. Philip Street.  The street was virtually deserted and in the fog and dim light, the French Quarter felt like Brigadoon, magically suspended in time and space.

     As I moved down the sidewalk, the Quarter eerily silent, I saw in the distance the figure of a man walking towards me.  I could not make out his features at first, but there was something familiar in his tall, lanky stature and unhurried gait.  The closer he got, his facial features became clear and I realized I was looking into the soulful eyes of actor, Donald Sutherland.  He was wearing a long trenchcoat and a fedora style hat, and as we got closer and closer he never broke eye contact.  We passed one another, exchanging only a wordless, acknowledging nod, then each disappeared into the enveloping dim of the street, two ships passing.

     I've never forgotten that brief exchange with Mr. Sutherland on that foggy evening.  It is crystalized in my memory as it felt as if I had just encountered a mythical creature in the form of one of my most beloved actors.  From Hawkeye Pierce to Mr. Bennett, his epic body of work has been a constant in our movie and television experience.  When I learned of his passing yesterday, I visualized in my mind a view of his back walking away, into the still of that foggy evening, his steps relaxed, hat pulled low, hands in the pockets of his coat, perhaps even softly whistling to himself.


8 comments:

  1. I never knew this story:) what a magical memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My New Orleans memories are expansive. I had so many adventures and unique experiences during the 10 years of living there, they still color my present.

      Delete
  2. I love,love this story. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it ! I have a Donald story too ! I’ll share on our next visit! Auditioned for a movie shooting in New Orleans today ! I wanna get it so you can play!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I'll keep my fingers crossed for that audition!! Can't wait to see your gorgeous face again, soon! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Wow! There are so many layers to you I never knew.

    ReplyDelete