Sunday, February 14, 2016

Let's Catch Up

It's been so long since I've posted on my blog, I almost forgot I had the darn thing!  So, let's catch up.  Life has been a series of challenges this past year to say the very least.  I will get the saddest part out of the way first.

At the end of August I had to say farewell to my precious fur baby, Dixie.  Even as I write this now tears are streaming down my face.  For 11 years that little rascal was my constant companion and, for such a tiny creature, she left a mighty big hole in my soul.  I am pretty sure she will be my last pet, for sure my last dog, I am just too old to handle the loss of a friend who sees you as their entire reason for being.

My struggle to obtain my Social Security Disability benefits continues.  I now have an attorney, which everyone told me I was going to need in Louisiana and, well, they were right.  The level of patience required to navigate this process is beyond comprehension, but I persevere.

On September 14th, my good friend, and neighbor, Shana suffered a massive bleeding stroke.  She called me at 6:30 am that Monday morning with just two words, "come now!".  I ran down the street in my bathrobe, two doors down to her house.  Fortunately, as two single ladies living alone we had the presence of mind to keep keys to each other's houses.  Thankfully, the ambulance got there very quickly and a wonderful neurosurgeon was able to save her life from a stroke few people survive.

This leads me to my current life chapter.  After 44 days in the hospital, it was apparent that although Shana had made a miraculous recovery, she still had a very long way to go to rehabilitation and would not be able to live on her own for now.  Shana has four wonderful children all in their 30's, with very busy lives and families of their own.  Since I am, to say it simply, a bit at loose ends these days, it seemed the wisest thing to do was to move into her house and take care of her.  Now, if any of you have ever taken care of a friend or parent in this condition you know how challenging this can be.  There are good days and there are some very dark days.  I won't pretend I find being a caretaker easy or fun, or even something I am good at, but I am grateful for the opportunity, in the midst of my own problems, to focus on being of some help to a really good friend and her family in their time of need.

So, there you have it.  My life these days is very quiet and fairly confined to the daily needs of my friend, so if you've noticed I don't post often on my Facebook page, or, clearly, haven't written on my blog it's because I just don't have much to talk about.  However, I absolutely pour over all of your postings and blogs.  They keep me in touch with the rest of my world that I am sort of taking a break from for the present.  I don't know what 2016 has in store for me, but rest assured I am still here, still smiling and still your friend.

Happy New Year,
Sally

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sally, I just spent the last two years taking care of my Dad, so I understand where you are. Bless you for coming to the aid of your friend and I wish you both more good days than bad. Remember to take care of yourself too and don't forget to inject comedy whenever possible, laughter is healing! Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete