Monday, November 8, 2010

Let's Rap About Wrap

I realize as I write this blog that this is Halloween weekend, but Christmas is truly right around the corner and it's not too early to offer up my tips for avoiding one of my clutter pet peeves...holiday wrapping paper chaos!



Now if you are fortunate enough to have a craft room with paper and ribbons on dowels and in specially designed containers...move on, this blog is not for you.  However, if you are like most people, with a crazy collection of wrapping paper and ribbon from Christmas past stuffed in the closet or up in the attic with your artificial christmas tree, keep reading.  (The gift wrap organizer pictured is from Pottery Barn, and Santa, if you're reading, I would love to find this under my tree!)

Whether or not you love creating beautifully wrapped packages (like I do) or dread wrapping all those holiday gifts, this tip can serve you both.  When choosing your holiday wrapping paper limit yourself to two papers.  Yes, I said TWO.  Preferably one solid color and one complimentary print (if you really want two prints, make sure one is a small print to accomodate small packages).  By keeping your paper choices to two, you can splurge on ribbons and decorations to spruce up your packages, and that's really the fun part of wrapping.  I like using non-traditional holiday colors like purple or teal so I can use the leftover paper for other gifts throughout the year.

During the holidays it's now simple to put your wrapping supplies out of sight.  Put your ribbons and bows, along with the scissors and tape in one container.  This container and the TWO rolls of paper are easy to tuck into a closet or under the bed when company arrives.  No more just closing the door to that spare bedroom that looks like Christmas exploded in.  After the holidays you can add the leftover paper (there shouldn't be much) to your everyday wrapping supplies and the container with holiday package decorations can go up in the attic with the tree until next year.


If you really want to keep it simple, just use plain, brown kraft paper for wrapping. Kraft paper is easy and fun to decorate with twine, pinecones, cinnamon sticks, etc. The kids can color or stamp the packages to make them cute and personal...and you can save on gift tags by writing the recipient's name right on the paper with a marker.  I love to pair the kraft paper with pretty, print paper or dress it up with fancy, plaid ribbons and add stamping with silver and gold ink.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that I live in a really small house, so my Christmas tree is small as well.  Also, my holiday decorating is kept at a minimum because I have so little space to work with.  When my packages are all wrapped with coordinating paper, they become a decorating accessory in my living room as opposed to a jumbled mess of paper patterns and colors, so the area around my tree looks pretty and pulled together.

I hope this tip helps trim some time and clutter off your holiday preparations.

Happy Organizing

1 comment:

  1. Amen to the paper roll - we use our giant butcher paper roll for everything around here, and because it's so cost effective we can justify buying special ribbons, etc, as the mood strikes. We have a box of slate wine tags that serve as reusable gift tags. The packages look uniform and important, and the occasional fun or whimsical pattern that sneaks in is just that, since there's no jumble. Thanks for reiterating such an easy tip.

    (for our birthday wrap, the kids go to town w/markers, paint, etc, to devise "custom" wrap for each other and friends)

    ReplyDelete